Level 3 Professional Award in Leadership Techniques
Welcome to the Level 3 Professional Award in Management and Leadership Techniques...
...a practical workshop from Human Performance which has been written to substantially meet the relevant knowledge and understanding requirements of the Skills CFA National Occupational Standards (NOS) from the Management & Leadership and Business & Administration suites of NOS. The Level 3 Professional Award in Management and Leadership Techniques will lead to candidates achieving a Level 3 Continual Professional Development (CPD) certificate.
National Occupational Standards Covered
- Unit CFA M&L BA2 - Management & Leadership -Provide leadership in your area of responsibility
- Unit CFA BAG 1212 - Business & Administration -Supervise a team in a business environment
This Level 3 Professional Award in Management and Leadership Techniques has been designed for managers and supervisors who have line management responsibility for other employees. The course covers important management and leadership theories and makes them interesting and relevant to everyday management life.
No previous qualifications are required to gain access on to this workshop - just a desire to learn effective management and leadership techniques and enhance career development, although candidates must have line management responsibility for at least one other employee. A multiple choice paper has to be completed at the close of the course so a good standard of reading and writing is essential.
This Level 3 Professional Award in Management and Leadership Techniques is a highly participative and practical workshop that will enable all candidates to develop their skills towards the NOS detailed above. Group work, discussion, practical activities and observation are all used to maximise the candidate's skills and knowledge retention.
Each core leadership skill is discussed in detail and candidates are provided with practical techniques to develop and utilise these skills back in the workplace. All candidates receive a detailed workshop manual and a back to work action plan designed to encourage use of the new knowledge and to assist in developing competence.
This Level 3 Professional Award in Management and Leadership Techniques comprises one unit entitled 'Techniques for Effective Management and Leadership', made up of 20 guided learning hours delivered across 3 x 8 hour sessions. It is mandatory that candidates attend and complete all sessions, as well as pass a multiple choice exam paper, in order to achieve the award. The exam paper consists of 40 questions and is graded as follows: Pass 20-27 marks; Merit 28-33 marks; Distinction 34+ marks.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Learning Outcome 1: Understand the principles of management and leadership
- Learning Outcome 2: Understand the core leadership functions relating to defining and planning tasks and empowering individuals
- Learning Outcome 3: Understand the skills and techniques which aid effective communication
- Learning Outcome 4: Understand the processes for controlling and motivating others
- Learning Outcome 5: Understand the methods for evaluating performance and providing effective feedback
This Level 3 Professional Award in Management and Leadership Techniques aims to increase a candidate's knowledge and understanding of the principles of management and leadership and so enable them to competently and effectively line manage their employees. Success at management and leadership will lead to a more effective team performance with improved results for organisations.
Candidates will be introduced to management and leadership and then complete an activity to help them identify whether their preference is for leadership or management, before moving on to learn about the two different approaches to the role of leadership. The theory of action-centred leadership will be discussed and this session will be concluded with a practical activity to help everyone understand their own preferred leadership style.
Following this, candidates will be introduced to the eight core functions of leadership, developing knowledge and understanding of each area in turn. Facilitator input, role plays, quizzes and group discussion will be used to explore the functions of defining & planning tasks; empowering; communicating; controlling & motivating; and evaluating & offering feedback. Candidates will learn practical techniques to help them develop skills in each of these core areas.
Finally, there will be a session on 'How to be a Leader', so concluding the workshop and bringing together the learning from the course. Back to work checklists will enable each candidate to practice their new knowledge and understanding within their roles and develop their competence.
All candidates that attend and complete all workshop sessions and achieve a minimum of 50% in the multiple choice paper will receive the Level 3 Professional Award in Management and Leadership Techniques CPD certificate
- Tutor facilitation and input
- Group activity and discussion
- Case studies and role play
- Multiple choice exam paper
Course Timings / Refreshments
The workshop is delivered over three consecutive days, commencing promptly at 9.00am and finishing at 5.00pm. Each session will last for 50 minutes followed by a 10 minute break. Candidates should arrive at 8.45am for breakfast, lunch will be served at 12.30pm and tea, coffee and water are available throughout.
Maximum of 15 candidates
All candidates will receive a comprehensive workshop manual with quality session summary sheets covering each element of the course to enable full utilisation of the learning back in the workplace.
The Level 3 Professional Award in Management and Leadership Techniques is facilitated by endorsed advanced facilitators who have undergone a minimum of 20 years of real-life business management and leadership experience - ensuring that all course delivery is of the highest quality.
- Introduction to Leadership
- Defining the Meaning of Management & Leadership
- Exercise - Is Your Preference For Management or Leadership?
- Exercise - Understanding Management
- Exercise - Understanding Leadership
- The Qualities of Management
- The Qualities of Leadership
- Exercise - Have you Experienced Management or Leadership?
- Summarising the Differences of Management & Leadership
- Exercise - What is it that Creates Leadership?
- Exercise - The Most Important Personal Qualities of the Leader
- Qualities Approach to Leadership
- Situational Approach to Leadership
ACTION CENTRED LEADERSHIP
- Understanding the Responsibilities of Action Centred Leadership
- The Responsibilities for Achieving the Task
- The Responsibilities for Managing the Team
- The Responsibilities for Managing Individuals
- Problems That Occur Without Action Centred Leadership
- The Three Levels of Leadership
- The Eight Core Functions of Leadership
- Exercise - What is Your Leadership Style?
PLANNING TASKS & EMPOWERING INDIVIDUALS
- Core Leadership Function 1 - Defining the Task
- DrillTec Plc Case Study
- Exercise - How to Set Tasks & Define the Goals
- Core Leadership Function 2 - Planning
- Understanding the Process of Effective Planning
- Techniques for Effective Planning
- Task Boarding
- Benefits of Task Boarding
- Core Leadership Function 3 - Empowerment
- Exercise - How Do You Like To Be Organised
- Exercise - Empowerment
- Empowerment Exercise Results & Feedback
- The Seven Essential Ingredients for Empowerment
- Core Leadership Function 4 - Communicating Effectively
- Active Open Questions
- Exercise - Understanding Active Open Questions
- Passive Open Questions
- Closed Questions
- Counter-productive Questioning
- Summary of Question Types Available
- Listening Skills
- Exercise - Listening Skills
- Practical Steps to Improve Your Listening Skills
CONTROLLING AND MOTIVATING THE TEAM
- Core Leadership Function 5 - Controlling the Team
- Monitoring as a Leadership Function
- Controlling the Team
- Tracking Progress & Performance
- Core Leadership Function 6 - Motivating
- The Four Keys to Successful Motivation
- Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs
- Herzberg's Two Factor Theory
- The Six Key Principles for Motivating Others
- Core Leadership Function 7 - Evaluating Performance
- Exercise - How Do You Like to Receive Feedback?
- Core Leadership Function 8 - Techniques for Giving
- The 10 Tools for Evaluating Performance
- Preparing to Give Constructive Feedback
- Exercise - How to Give Feedback and Boost Performance
- How to be a Leader
ASSESSMENT FOR CPD PROFESSIONAL AWARD
- Structured workshop review with facilitator
- Candidate personal revision time
- Multiple choice paper assessment